September 15, 2009

I'm going to try to actually blog this time

I've had this blog for a long time, but I never actually wrote anything. I would just post something I'd read that had encouraged me, but looking back, I wish I had actually written my thoughts in a little more detail. I didn't because I just didn't want to put in the time and effort to write my thoughts down.

Writing is hard for me, but lately, I've been thinking about a lot of things that I want to write about. Most of the time, I don't tell people about my opinions (they've gotten me in trouble in the past), but I'd like an outlet for my thoughts that I hope will challenge, sharpen, and encourage others.

Some "regular" entries I would like to include would be book reviews (and perhaps film, if I see a film I like enough to recommend) and interaction with sermons I listen to. I don't follow that many people (that is, people outside my theological circles), so it's going to be restricted mainly to Grace Church, John Piper, DA Carson, David Powlison, Capitol Hill Baptist Church/9Marks, and occasionally Tim Keller. I also might write some thoughts on politics/economics/public ethics if I feel strongly enough about it, but I don't want that to take too prominent a role here. Also, because I'm not some impersonal theological robot, I think I might post some personal anecdotes for some lighthearted fun here and there.

Some topics I've been mulling over that I'll try to post this fall:
  • The Gospel, the Church, evangelism, missions, and social justice
  • Piper's preaching on the Gospel of John
  • Material possessions
  • Proverbs and biblical ethics
  • Race and missions
  • Relationships (all relationships, not just romantic)
  • What I appreciate about Grace Church
  • My experience as a Calvinist
By no means are my thoughts original or profound. They're mainly what I've learned from others and digested over time, but I would appreciate your input and I'm really yearning for some interaction, and yes, that includes disagreement! I hope that my tone is charitable and edifying, and I would appreciate your help in keeping me within those boundaries.

Here's to hoping I actually maintain a blog this time...

No comments: